Get to know the newest intern to join the BatesMeron team, Adam Barkley! Adam is a junior at Columbia College Chicago, where he is majoring in design and photography. He joins our team with creative passion and a love of photography to assist in all things design.
I interviewed Adam as part of our 6 Questions feature: a series of one-on-one interviews with people we work with who make us proud. Sometimes I like to turn the tables and put our own staffers in the hot seat so you not only get to meet them, but also see just how special our team really is.
1. First up: a quick question from our ice breaker deck, Spill the Bees. If you could shoot any substance from your fingertips, what would it be and why?
Well, I have a love (some might say addiction) to coffee. I would choose to shoot coffee from my fingertips to meet my large daily coffee quota. My bank account would greatly appreciate this ability.
2. Okay, now that we got the weird question out of the way, let’s talk about design! What brought you to pursue a degree in design and photography?
I started down my career track when I took a photography class on a whim. It didn’t take long for me to fall in love with it. I later stumbled upon Photoshop in that class. Once I opened the floodgate that is Adobe, it sparked the idea of graphic design as a career.
3. As our spring intern, you’ve already been involved in a variety of projects. What are you hoping to take away from your time with us?
This might sound like a stereotypical response, but I really desired to gain “real life” experience and insight on my future career. I wanted to get a preview of what I should expect after my graduation.
4. As an agency, we have a list of projects we’d love to work on. (Cough cough, any beer brewers in need of branding out there?) So tell us, what is something that’s on your design bucket list?
I’ve always had an interest in fashion photography. Whenever possible, I love to incorporate my own photography into my design work. A project that I think would marry my passions perfectly would be for a fashion magazine. I would love to one day be able to conceptualize and create a front cover of a fashion magazine!
Speaking of beer brewers, I’ve heard of this great establishment, Kelsey Block Brewing Co. I would highly recommend if you ever visit Three Rivers, MI.
5. We all like to listen to music while we work. What tunes always get your creative juices flowing?
As of right now, I’ve been jamming to Panic at the Disco!’s new singles, Betty Who, and Hayley Kiyoko.
6. It’s the question lightening round! Inquiring minds want to know:
Early bird or night owl?
I’m naturally a night owl. Although, school and other responsibilities make me more of an early bird as of late.
Best running spot in the city?
When Chicago decides to have a decent day of weather, I love running along the lakeshore. I run towards the Shedd Aquarium to this secluded small beach that has become one of my favorite discoveries since moving to the city.
Favorite late-night meal?
Ideally, I would go for a bowl of oatmeal and fruit. More realistically, I gravitate to something like a bowl of Lucky Charms.