Meet Dan Corry, BatesMeron’s newest design intern! As an incoming senior at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, Dan is majoring in Advertising with a distinct love for graphic design. Dan’s passion and energy are a welcome addition to our team and we’re so excited to see what he creates.
I interviewed Dan as part of our 6 Questions feature: a series of one-on-one interviews with people we work with who make us proud. Sometimes I like to turn the tables and put our own staffers in the hot seat so you not only get to meet them, but also see just how special our team really is.
1. Let’s start with the basics: Where did your journey as a designer begin?
Lots of Lynda videos, YouTube tutorials and one meeting with a graphic designer friend of mine. After that, it was just a lot of practice.
2. As a University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign senior, you’re commuting to us all the way from St. Charles for the summer! What is your favorite part about coming into the city for work?
My favorite part of the commute is being able to take the train ride to catch up on news, and overall just wake up (I’m not a morning person).
But I also really love my walk to and from work! Listening to my own music and walking down Michigan Ave brings a smile to my face every time. I’m super in my element up here.
3. You’ve mentioned that you knew you wanted to be a designer after helping your first client. Who was your first client and what did you design for them?
My first client was a friend of mine who opened up his own coffee place called A Just Brew. He needed a logo for social media that would also be printed on the cups. He thought that because I was in advertising, I knew all about Photoshop and Illustrator (I didn’t), and that it would be easy (it wasn’t). But seeing my work printed IRL, and seeing how happy it made my friend, was enough motivation to make me want more.
4. If you could design work for one brand, what brand would you pick and why?
Maybe Hulu? I don’t know, I don’t look at brands that way. But I have a hot take that Hulu is better than Netflix, so I’ll say them.
Bonus question: What would you create?
Probably a commercial. It would be cool to meet the actors and work with them!
5. By now you’ve heard of a little game we like to call Spill the Bees. From a card drawn at random: What’s your favorite movie quote?
“The lioness has rejoined her cub, and all is right in the jungle” – Kill Bill: Volume 2 (UGH whatta movie!)
6. Speaking of movies, we’re a bunch of pop-culture fanatics at BatesMeron, so we have to ask:
1. What’s the last movie you watched?
I just watched Mamma Mia for the first time, and I’ve had songs suck in my head for days now! I’m a biiiiiig musical guy—just FYI.
2. What’s your favorite TV show of all time?
I feel like you just can’t beat Breaking Bad. The character development is WILD, and I always end up rooting for the villain in most shows for some reason!
3. Listen to any podcasts lately?
If I Were You is this goofy advice podcast with these two guys who used to be big on CollegeHumor. I just got back into them and they always make me laugh in public like an idiot.
4. What’s your favorite album at the moment?
OOF! What a question… well… I’ve been a Jason Mraz fan ever since I listened to music, and his new stuff sounds a lot like the old Jason I grew up loving, so I’m jazzed about that. I’m also a big Jon Bellion fan. Big Quinn XCII fan. Big Michael Bublé fan.